Ravel, Faure, Poulenc, Ibert
What people are saying
"Here’s a recording guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Enthusiastic and fun, yet with touching, tender moments and a clever awareness of the music’s irony, the London Chamber Orchestra delivers a witty, exuberant collection." Classic FM Magazine
"Spry, clipped music-making, and a lovely French programme, capped by Roge’s ebullient account of Poulenc’s mercurial, flamboyant Piano Concerto." BBC Music Magazine
London Chamber Orchestra
Release date:25th Jul 2011
Spry, clipped music-making, and a lovely French programme, capped by Roge’s ebullient account of Poulenc’s mercurial, flamboyant Piano Concerto. Ibert’s Divertissement is also sharply energetic, especially in its riotous finale.
BBC Music Magazine
The Music French music seems more susceptible than most to broad brush generalisations about style and tone, but whilst all four composers featured here are late-Romantics, the music is more varied than you’d expect "? from the wistful Pavanes to the outrageous brashness of lbert and the principal work, Poulenc’s Piano Concerto.
The Performance live concert recordings aren’t always successful, but with this programme of combined charm and exuberance, the London Chamber Orchestra deliver a crowd pleaser. Pascal Roge has become something of a Poulenc expert, and his sympathetic yet witty playing makes sense of Poulenc’s profusion of ideas in the centrepiece Piano Concerto, getting the right balance between fun and musical sophistication.
The works Ravel and Faure – both takes on the Pavane benefit from the warm and expressive orchestral playing before everyone gets into the spirit of lbert’s crazy chaotic world.
The Verdict Here’s a recording guaranteed to put a smile on your face! Enthusiastic and fun, yet with touching, tender moments and a clever awareness of the music’s irony, the London Chamber Orchestra delivers a witty, exuberant collection.
Want more? On the strength of this CD, I’d be tempted to try others in the LCO Live series (Signum Classics).
Classic FM Magazine
- Le Tombeau de Couperin: Pr?lude: Vif – M. Ravel – 3.28
- Le Tombeau de Couperin: Forlane: Allegretto – M. Ravel – 6.04
- Le Tombeau de Couperin: Menuet: Allegro moderato – M. Ravel – 4.34
- Le Tombeau de Couperin: Assez vif – M. Ravel – 3.14
- Pavane Op.50 – G. Faur? – 6.20
- Piano Concerto: Allegretto – F. Poulenc – 10.17
- Piano Concerto: Andante con moto – F. Poulenc – 5.20
- Piano Concerto: Rondeau ? la fran?aise – F. Poulenc – 4.02
- Pavane pour une infante d?funte – M. Ravel – 6.29
- Divertissement: Introduction – J. Ibert – 1.10
- Divertissement: Cortege – J. Ibert – 5.10
- Divertissement: Nocturne – J. Ibert – 2.52
- Divertissement: Valse – J. Ibert – 3.09
- Divertissement: Parade – J. Ibert – 1.49
- Divertissement: Finale – J. Ibert – 2.10